Sometimes, you just don’t get the gift you wanted for Christmas, and that’s fine. Most of the time, you can return.
But how long do you have to return a gift if it was purchased from a major retailer?
Most big box stores like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy have specific dates and policies in place surrounding gifts and the holidays. While you might not be able to exchange a gift for cold hard cash, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be able to snag some store credit or a one-to-one exchange.
If you have a gift you want to exchange, here are some of the biggest retailer’s dates.
- Walmart: Items purchased between Nov. 1-Dec. 25 have to be returned in less than 90 days beginning Dec. 26.
- Target: Gifts purchased between Oc. 1-Dec. 25 have 14, 15, or 30 days to be returned starting Dec. 26. You can find details about different items’ time limits here.
- Nordstrom: There is no time limit for Nordstrom returns, but acceptances are done on a case-by-case basis.
- Best Buy: The retailer’s deadline is Jan. 16, 2022, for most items purchased between Oct. 18, 2021-Jan. 2, 2022.
- Kohl’s: You’ll have up to 180 days from the date of purchase to return an item at Kohl’s except in the case of premium electronics which must be returned within 30 days.
- Apple: Items purchased between Nov. 1-Dec. 25 have until Jan. 8, 2022, to be returned.
- Macy’s: For the holidays, you have until Jan. 31 to return items purchased on or after Oct. 10, 2021.
- Amazon: Return items purchased between Oct. 1-Dec. 31 can be exchanged through Jan. 31, 2022.
- Bed, Bath, & Beyond: Without a receipt, you have 90 days to return items from the date purchased. The company can scan its database for information on the purchase.
- Costco: There’s no date for returning items at Costco except for electronics which must be returned within 90 days of receipt.
As for policies on returns with no receipts, you can find those rules at each retailer’s website, but hopefully, your gifters popped a gift receipt in the box.