It doesn’t matter how old you are; coloring is fun and relaxing at any age. March 31 is National Crayon Day, so why not celebrate with a coloring book and a box of crayons?
The Link Between Coloring and Stress Relief
A few years back, it was all over the news that coloring was the new form of meditation. Claims were made that taking time to color in a coloring book made for adults would help you relax and reduce stress. While coloring and doodling may not exactly be the same as intense transcendental meditaiton, some studies have shown that coloring does bring down stress levels.
Picking the Right Coloring Book
Whether you’re coloring with your favorite box of crayons, or you prefer markers and colored pencils, you need the right coloring book to help you relax and find joy. If you’re not sure what to get, or you think that all coloring books are for kids, here are some adult-friendly and sometimes not child-friendly) coloring pages to look into.
- Mandala Coloring Books: Most of those tests showed that coloring mandalas were the most relaxing way to spend your time on a coloring book.
- Swear Word Coloring Books: If cussing is your thing, enjoy your favorite swear words with a coloring book full of them.
- Tattoo Art Coloring Books: If you’re looking for inspiration for your next body art, there are some gorgeous tattoo coloring books on the market.
- Psychedelic Coloring Books: If you’re looking for something a little more psychedelic, this coloring book is filled with food, cute, animals, and more.
- Animals, Flowers, and More: There are coloring books out there that contain many of the things you expect to see in children’s coloring books—like animals, flowers, and fantasy designs—but the patterns in adult coloring books are more intricate.
Any adult coloring book will whisk you away into the colors of the rainbows and beyond for as long as you want to color away!