April 18 is National Velociraptor Day, but you can celebrate dinosaurs of all kinds. Whether you’re looking for activities for your kids, or you’re just a kid at heart yourself, here are four fun dino-centric things to do.
Play a Dinosaur Game
Dinosaurs never go out of style, so you can bet there are some great dinosaur games out there (we have a few in our collection). This list on Amazon has some ideas.
For younger players, the Good Dinosaur Roarin’ River Board Game is a fun choice. It’s perfect for kids ages 4 and up. It’s easy to play, but offers a little adventure, too.
For adults and children 8-years-old and up, Dinosaur Island is a great new game that challenges players to create an island of dinosaurs! Basically, you pretend you’re the guy who created Jurassic Park (what fun!).
Dinosaur Movies and Shows
There’s no lack of dinosaur movies out there to watch, no matter how old you are. There are even some fabulous dinosaur cartoons and TV shows worth checking out.
With streaming, so many titles are at your fingertips. You shouldn’t have any trouble finding The Land Before Time or some Jurassic Park.
However, the following lesser-known vintage movies and shows are worth a watch, too:
- Denver, The Last Dinosaur: A cartoon about a dinosaur hanging around with humans (and it has a great theme song).
- Dinosaurs: This sitcom is about a family of dinosaurs who live like humans and deal with a wide range of very human issues. Plus, the baby dino was probably the cutest thing on TV in the 1990s.
Dinosaur Fossils and Dig Kits
For kids, dinosaur crafts are a great way to celebrate these extinct beasts. You don’t have to invest money in fossils, real or fake—you can make your own. You can also create your own dinosaur excavation right at home.
Give these a shot:
- Make Life Lovely: Follow the instructions to create your own dinosaur fossils with salt dough ingredients and plastic dinosaurs.
- Fun Learning for Kids: This site will guide you through a DIY dinosaur bone excavation kit. Dig for bones like a paleontologist right at home.
Dress Like a Dinosaur
Don’t miss out on a chance to dress like a dinosaur! You’re never too old to pretend, even if it’s not Halloween. No one will fault you for celebrating the ferocious velociraptor by dressing up as a dinosaur and roaring at people.
There are costumes for the kids, babies, adults, and even your pets:
- Velociraptor child’s costume: Kids can dress up as a stealth velociraptor, or just wear a dinosaur tail if a full costume is a bit too much.
- Baby triceratops costume: What’s more adorable than a tiny dino crawling around the living room?
- Adult inflatable T. rex costume: All adults should take some time (and video) embracing their inner T. rex with this clever costume.
- Pupasaurus Rex dog costume: Don’t leave the dog out! Your canine will be the cutest pupasaurus on the block.
Whether you play a dinosaur game or just run around the house pretending to be one, celebrating Velociraptor Day will bring a bit of much-needed levity to your home.