Yogurt isn’t cheap, especially if your kids eat it by the truckload. The good news is that it’s super easy to make delicious yogurt right at home with the Instant Pot. Here’s how it’s done.
Be prepared, the end result is creamy, rich, and oh-so-good. But that’s okay, because it’s so cheap to make!
You only need two ingredients to make a fresh-batch of yogurt:
- Ultra-pasteurized whole milk: It’s important to make sure the milk actually says ultra-pasteurized. If it’s not, you risk bad bacteria flourishing in the fermentation process, which doesn’t sound like fun.
- Unsweetened Greek yogurt: Any tub or brand will do as long as it has active cultures listed in the ingredients. It’s those active cultures that’ll perform magic right before your eyes!
Is it really that simple? Yes! You don’t even need a yogurt starter, gelatin, or a special yogurt maker.
Here are the basic steps from Now Cook This:
- Whisk: Mix together 6.5 cups of milk with 2 tablespoons of greek yogurt in your Instant Pot. You can add sweetened condensed milk if you want a sweet-flavored yogurt. Or, sweeten later with honey, maple syrup, or fresh fruit.
- Cover: It’s advised to use a glass lid as opposed to your regular Instant Pot lid to avoid the transfer of other flavors (nobody wants chicken curry-flavored yogurt!).
- Set: Push the yogurt button and select 8 hours (or 9 hours if you want a more tangy flavor).
- Chill: Cover and chill in the fridge for 8 hours.
- Add: The sky’s the limit here—vanilla, sweeteners, fruit, granola. Have fun experimenting.
If you’re a visual learner, watch the above video for step-by-step instructions. You can set the yogurt timer for 6-9 hours, depending on whether you’re craving mild or tangy yogurt.
Take some time to experiment, seeing what flavors and consistencies your family likes best.
Craving greek yogurt? It’s easy! First, put a mesh strainer over a bowl, then line it with coffee filters. Pour the yogurt into the strainer, cover, and leave in the fridge for several hours.
Once you’ve figured out your favorite recipe, you’ll be able to enjoy an unlimited supply of yogurt without breaking the bank account! Use all that yogurt to make some scrumptious homemade popsicles or to enjoy with fresh berries.