Literature lovers are notoriously hard to shop for. Unlike film aficionados and comic book fans, there’s rarely much merch to go with a favorite read. Before you default to that bookstore gift card, though, we have some suggestions!
Sure, the obvious gift for a bookworm is, y’know, a book! But it’s hard to choose one you know he’ll like. If you can’t afford to break the bank to gift your friend a rare first edition of her favorite title, get her one of the awesome items below, instead.
The trusty suggestions below will never fail to make a bookworm happy:
- A book subscription: If you really want to gift a book but aren’t sure which one, get your loved one a book subscription. For fascinating titles from independent publishers, check out the Indiespensable subscription. The Unplugged Book Box includes both young adult and adult versions and bookish swag. My First Reading Club is perfect for getting young ones hooked on books.
- A chic journal: For the lit fan who loves to take notes, a new journal will be much-loved. You can gift a classic notebook with blank lined pages, or a themed journal with prompts to capture specific thoughts about beloved reads. Upgrade and include an ultra-fancy pen!
Thick Classic Notebook with Pen Loop - Lemome A5 Wide Ruled Hardcover Writing Notebook with Pocket + Page Dividers Gifts, Banded, Large, 180 Pages, 8.4 x 5.7 in
Elegant and practical.
- A bookmark: If your favorite reader uses bookmarks, you’ve already got the perfect gift idea. From minimalist magnetics and fun metal feathers, to classic handmade leather, you can find something for anyone (unless they’re devoted to the dog-ear method!).
For the Home
Elevate your loved one’s home reading experience! From lighting to accessories, any of the following fun ideas will help them enjoy their reading nook even more:
- A reading light: If you want to gift something practical that’s sure to get lots of use, you can’t go wrong with this. Bookish folks love curling up to read in any corner of the house, and with a portable light, they can. Clip-on lights attach to nearly any surface, including books. Talk about convenience!
The Original Mighty Bright NuFlex Rechargeable Book Light, 35 Lumens of Warm Eye-Care Light, 3 Brightness Levels, 24 Hours of Battery Life, Durable, Flexible (Lavender)
For the friend who reads everywhere.
- A cozy candle: Reading as a candle flickers is an unparalleled cold-weather ritual. Take it up a notch with a book-themed candle. Homesick’s Book Club candle offers a warm, spicy scent and 60-80 hours of burn time. Byredo’s Bibliothèque candle is a more high-end option with a library-inspired scent.
- A mug: A hot cup of tea or coffee pairs perfectly with a book. If you’re unsure what your favorite reader’s poison is, a mug is an excellent gift. Grab one with a bookish motif, like the titles of classic novels or beloved novels by women.
Ginger Fox Book Lovers Novelty Mug Featuring 30 Of The Greatest Classic Novels - Perfect For The Bookworm In Your Life
Designed with bookworms in mind.
- Coasters: Your friend’s gonna need a place to set that mug! Help the lit-lover in your life protect his furniture in style with these typewriter coasters. They’re the perfect practical gift that’s also a conversation starter.
- Bookends: If you have a sense of your friend’s home decor style, bookends make a wonderful gift. They’re something readers almost never think to buy for themselves. You can get them in just about any color or design, including sculptural marble or the New York City skyline.
Bookends New York City, NYC Skyline Book Ends for Shelves (1 Pair)
Literature's capital city.
- A bookshelf: For the reader whose bookshelves are always overflowing, a small shelf that’s easy to hang or tuck in a corner is the perfect gift. The floating style suits minimalists, while neutral bamboo will fit in with almost any decor.
TQVAI Natural Bamboo Desktop Bookshelf Expandable Bookcase Office Supplies Storage Rack Organizer, Original
Perfect for small spaces.
- A bath tray: The bath is the perfect environment for reading. This luxe, yet, practical tray is designed to hold a book, beverage, candle, and more.
ROYAL CRAFT WOOD Luxury Bathtub Caddy Tray, One or Two Person Bath and Bed Tray, Bonus Free Soap Holder (Natural)
Holds books and more.
The right wearables foster comfort and focus while reading. The following items will help your favorite reader stay cozy all winter long:
- Loungewear: If you’re comfortable gifting clothing, loungewear is ideal for anyone who reads. Just make sure it’s soft, loose, and comfortable, like this cozy, oversized sweatshirt or this matching set.
- Warm slippers: Cold toes are a huge distraction when you’re reading. Help your friend keep them at bay with a pair of plush slippers. They come in every style and color imaginable, so you can find a pair to suit anyone’s taste.
- Noise-canceling headphones: Help your friend block out distractions with a set of noise-canceling headphones or earbuds. These days, even the high-quality models are pretty affordable! For more recommendations, check out this list.
Wireless Earbuds, ENACFIRE F1 Wireless Earbuds CVC 8.0 Noise Cancellation Apt-X Stereo Sound Wireless Headphones 208H Cycle Playtime IPX8 Waterproof Bluetooth 5.0 Headset
Small, yet effective.
- A cuddly throw blanket: When temperatures drop, staying cozy while reading is paramount. A super-soft throw will keep your fave reader warm and toasty. Try this plush fleece blanket in your recipient’s favorite color or a neutral.
GREEN ORANGE Throw Blanket for Couch - 50x60, Lightweight, Marsala Red - Soft, Plush, Fluffy, Warm, Cozy - Perfect for Bed, Sofa
Perfect for fall and winter.
- A beach towel: Sure, it probably won’t come in handy until next year. But if your friend reads at the beach or by the pool, this makes a great gift. You can keep it minimal with a classic neutral, or go more on-theme with a New Yorker print.
AYSIBOO Turkish Bath - Beach Towels - 100% Cotton - Pre-Washed Peshtemal Towel - 37x65 Inch - for Beach Bath Yoga Pool Travel Picnic Thin Child Blanket use - Sand-Free - Quick Dry - Grey
For those spicy beach reads.
Unique and Fun
If you’re looking for something a bit more unique, consider one of the following creative gifts:
- A bookish fragrance: This might seem risky, but it’s great for a serious reader you know well. Replica’s Whispers In The Library is woody and spicy, suggesting old books, and even older buildings. Commodity’s Book is fresh, like reading a well-loved novel in the open air, while Demeter’s Paperback mixes that old paper scent with a touch of florals.
Demeter Fragrance Library - Paperback - 1oz Cologne Spray
A bookworm's favorite scent.
- A literary advent calendar: These make lovely holiday gifts, and there are tons for book lovers. This tea shop pairs beautifully with fall and winter reads. This literary-quote calendar was designed for The New York Public Library and will make the perfect gift for any intellectual in your life. There’s a children’s book calendar for younger readers, too!
- A puzzle: Readers often love silence and solitude, and a puzzle suits both of those things perfectly. Even better if it’s book-themed, like this bookstore scene, or a library filled with cats.
EuroGraphics (EURHR The Greatest Bookstore in The World 1000Piece Puzzle 1000Piece Jigsaw Puzzle
Almost as fun as reading!
As it turns out, literature lovers aren’t so hard to shop for, after all! Choose one or more of these thoughtful gifts for the readers in your life.