World Origami Day (Nov. 11) is a great time to start a new hobby or pick up some new products to celebrate the hobby you already love—origami! With the right paper and instructions, anyone can learn origami.
Origami Books for All Levels
A great way to get started with origami is to pick up some books on the subject. Sometimes, origami books come with paper too, so you can start folding without investing a bunch of money extras.
We recommend the following:
- Japanese Origami for Beginners Kit: If you’re new to origami, this is the perfect way to get started with your new hobby. This beginner’s kit comes with everything you need and more. It includes instructions for 20 different origami projects, a 96-page instruction book, 72 papers to use for your projects, and even an instructional DVD.
Japanese Origami for Beginners Kit: 20 Classic Origami Models: Kit with 96-page Origami Book, 72 Origami Papers and Instructional DVD: Great for Kids and Adults!
Perfect for beginners.
- Harry Potter Origami: Potter fans will delight in this collection, which includes a book with 12 pages of instructions on how to create awesome Potter-related origami. The instructions walk you through every step, and each project also includes illustrated paper. You also get photos of each finished project so you can make sure you’re doing it right!
Harry Potter Origami Volume 1 (Harry Potter)
Fold all of your favorite things from Hogwarts.
- Peanuts Origami: You get 20 projects in this book, including full instructions, Peanuts trivia, and some wonderful comics and illustrations. There are also special illustrated sheets of paper for each project.
Peanuts Origami: 20+ Amazing Paper-Folding Projects Featuring Charlie Brown and the Gang
Create origami Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and the rest of the gang.
- Star Wars Origami: There are 36 projects to complete in this collection from a galaxy far, far away. It has something for everyone, whether you’ve done origami before or not. It also includes the paper you need for each project and instructions to get you through each creation. There’s also info on origami and how to make basic folds.
Star Wars Origami: 36 Amazing Paper-folding Projects from a Galaxy Far, Far Away....
Use the Force, and you'll finish these origami projects in no time.
- Money Origami: Use the cash in your wallet to make cool designs. You can even gift your creations this holiday season! The book includes 64 pages of info and instructions for 21 projects. You also get some fake bills to practice with and a DVD that’ll make your money-folding projects even easier.
Money Origami Kit: Make the Most of Your Dollar: Origami Book with 60 Origami Paper Dollars, 21 Projects and Instructional Video Downloads
A fun way to play with your money.
For anyone who wants to pursue origami as a hobby, the right paper is a must! This special paper is the right weight and size for origami. Below are some multipacks that are worth investing in:
- Fun Designs: Origami paper is pretty affordable. In this pack from Tuttle Publishing, you get 500 sheets in 12 different designs for a low price. The front of each sheet features a beautiful pattern, while the back is a solid color that matches the front.
- Solid Colors for All Projects: While patterned paper is fun to look at, sometimes, you just want solids. For those projects, check out these 200 sheets for under $10 from BUBU. You get 20 sheets of each gorgeous, six-inch square.
Origami Paper Double Sided Color - 200 Sheets - 20 Colors - 6 Inch Square Easy Fold Paper for Beginner
Complete Origami Kits
While the books we covered above include some great origami starter packs, you can also purchase a full kit. The selections below come with paper and instructions so you can make all kinds of cool things:
- Glow-in-the-Dark Origami Stars: Make neat origami stars that glow in the dark with this fully stocked kit! Not only do you get enough stuff to make the stars, but you also get two cool plastic star bottles you can gift them in.
JoyCat 450 Sheets Luminous Origami Stars Paper Kit with 2PCS Star Shape Transparent Plastic Bottles,Stars Folding Paper Strips Glows in The Dark 15 Colors Decoration Paper Strips DIY Hand Art Crafts
- Origami Flowers Stay “Fresh” Forever: Create a beautiful bouquet of origami flowers with this kit. It has 30 different projects. The cool thing about origami kits is you don’t have to make all the creations yourself—you can share them with others. This kit includes 100 pieces of paper, 30 buttons and jewels, and 20 bendable stems.
Kids Origami Paper Kit: Girls Multi Color Foldable Paper Sheets For Flowers With Decorative Charms & Accessories - Craft Supplies Set With Instruction Book - Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced
These flowers will last for ages, as long as you don't wrinkle the paper!
- A Thousand Cranes Kit: Paper cranes are probably the most well-known origami creations. You can start your own collection of mini paper cranes with this kit from Kidstoyo. It comes with three-inch square folding papers in 21 different colors.
Kidstoyo Origami Thousand Cranes Kit
Cranes, cranes, and more cranes!
Gifts for Origami Lovers
Love origami and have all the supplies? Why not add a little origami to your wardrobe? Any origami lover is sure to adore the following unique items:
- Origami Crane Necklace: This beautiful necklace is 925 sterling silver on an 18-inch chain. The beautiful details make a lovely statement that will work with any style.
FashionJunkie4Life Sterling Silver 3D Origami Crane Pendant Necklace, 18" Chain
Delightful and unique.
- Paper Kimono Origami Earrings: Made of actual folded paper, these will be the talk of the office or party any time you wear them.
Handcrafted Paper Origami Kimono Earrings, Japanese Clothing Jewelry, 1st Anniversary Gift for Women (Blue Red Wine)
Prepare for compliments!
- “I’d Rather Be Folding Paper” T-shirt: Not only is it fun, but this T-shirt also comes in tons of colors. It’s also available in men’s, women’s, and kids’ sizes, so you can get one for every origami lover on your holiday list.
Origami Paper Folding Cranes Origami Master T-Shirt
Get one for everyone!
Whether you stick with it or not, World Origami Day is the perfect time to try a new hobby. You might just fall in love and be folding forever!