Walter Glenn was an Editorial Director at How-To Geek. He's written hundreds of articles for How-To Geek and edited thousands.
Walter has worked in the computer industry for over 30 years as a computer technician, network administrator, trainer, and freelance consultant.
For the last 20 or so years, he's also worked as a technical writer and editor. Before coming to How-To Geek, Walter worked as a writer and community editor at Lifehacker. Before that, he worked as a freelance writer and editor.
As an expert on topics like Windows, Word, Outlook, Exchange Server, Windows Server, and general networking, he's authored or co-authored over 30 computer-related books in more than a dozen languages for publishers like Microsoft Press, O'Reilly, and Pearson.
He's also written hundreds of white papers, articles, user manuals, and courseware over the years---mostly for Microsoft.
Walter holds a Bachelor's degree in English and computer science from the University of Alabama in Huntsville and at one point held just about every Microsoft certification offered, including MCSE, MCDST, MCIS, and MCT.
Awards and Select Publications
- Two-time winner of the Award of Distinguished Technical Communication from the Society for Technical Communication
- Linksys Networks: The Official Guide, McGraw-Hill Osborne Media
- Windows 98 in a Nutshell, O'Reilly Press
- Word 2000 in a Nutshell, O'Reilly Press
- Outlook Pocket Guide, O'Reilly Press
- Exchange Server Administrator's Companion (multiple editions), Microsoft Press
- Windows XP Tips and Techniques, McGraw-Hill Osborne Media
- How to Use Windows XP, Bestseller Edition, Que
- MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-270): Installing,
Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Press
- MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-297): Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure, Microsoft Press
- Managing and Troubleshooting Windows XP: A Small Business
- Introduction to Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, Microsoft
- Knowledgebase Articles (Windows XP, Windows Vista,
networking, and general hardware), Microsoft Support and
TechNet Knowledgebase, Microsoft
- Deploying the Office 2010 Client at Microsoft (Microsoft IT
Showcase Technical White Paper), Microsoft
- Microsoft Security Guide for Small Business, Microsoft
- Microsoft Services Desktop Optimization using
Windows and the Microsoft Office System,
LifeSavvy is where you learn new skills for a better life. Whether you’re looking for tips on organization, travel, parenting, fitness, relationships, school, or your career, our team of expert writers is here to help.
How-To Geek is an online tech magazine and one of the top 500 websites in the US. Since it was created more than a decade ago, the site’s 10,000+ in-depth articles have been read more than 1 billion times. More than 15 million people read our articles every month.