Whether you’re peeling 1 pound or 20, having the right vegetable or fruit peeler on hand will make produce prep for your meals quick and easy. With these peelers, you’ll get the job done in a snap!
There are two basic types of kitchen peelers:
- Y Peeler: The peeler frame has a Y shape that holds horizontal cutting blades, making it able to peel moving up or down. The motion used for this peeler takes some getting used to, but it’s a speedy and effective design when you get into it.
- Swivel Peeler: A swivel peeler has a frame similar to a paring knife, with a vertical blade that turns in the direction you’re cutting. This design feels more natural to many; using it is similar to using a paring knife.
For each of these types of peelers, you can have either a serrated blade—a blade with tiny teeth similar to a bread knife, or a straight blade—a blade that’s similar to a regular knife edge. Serrated blades can be particularly useful for soft fruits and vegetables; straight ones work really well for harder fruits and vegetables.
Finding the Right Peeler for Your Kitchen
A bad peeler will add nothing but frustration to your cooking experience; a good one will make the process enjoyable, and it’ll last a long time if you choose the right one. Consider these features when purchasing:
- Blade Material: Peeler blades can be stainless steel, carbon steel, or ceramic. Stainless steel is the easiest material to care for.
- Handle: Make sure the handle has a shape and material that are comfortable for repetitive movement. Wider grips can make peeling easier.
- Durability: Check for indications that the peeler stands up to the test of time. Nothing is more frustrating than using a flimsy tool.
Many cooks keep both Y and swivel peelers on hand for different prep jobs. Try our recommendations for great peelers that will help you find the zen of peeling your fruit and veg.
Top Choice: Precision Kitchenware Peeler
This super-sharp peeler has high-quality stainless steel blades that can tackle even butternut squash or pumpkin, and it also has a julienne blade you can use to make vegetable noodles! It also comes with a loop for hanging storage.
Precision Kitchenware - Ultra Sharp Stainless Steel Dual Julienne & Vegetable Peeler with Cleaning Brush & Blade Guard
The high-quality stainless steel blades on this super-sharp peeler can tackle the hardest peeling jobs.
Best Swivel Peeler: OXO Good Grips Peeler
The OXO Good Grips peeler has a soft, oversized handle that makes it comfortable to hold and use repetitively. The twin blades, made from Japanese stainless steel, cover a large area with each stroke.
OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
The soft, oversized handle and Japanese stainless steel blades make large peeling jobs a breeze.
Best Serrated Peeler: Messermeister Pro Touch Peeler
This stainless steel serrated blade is particularly great for soft-skinned fruits and vegetables, and it has a soft-grip handle that lets you peel with ease.
Messermeister Pro Touch Serrated Swivel Peeler, Black
The stainless steel serrated blade is great for soft-skinned fruits and vegetables.
Great for Lefties: Rösle Swivel Peeler
This precision stainless steel swivel peeler is designed for left-handed use with a peeling movement toward the user; if you’re a lefty that prefers a movement away from the body, use the right-hand peeler. This tool is ideal for vegetables and fruit with skins that are of medium thickness.
Rosle Stainless Steel Left-Handed Swivel Peeler, 7.5-inch
Made for lefties who prefer to cut with a peeling movement toward the body.