Buying Guide for the Best Buddha Statues
Why buy a Buddha statue?
If you’re exploring Buddhism or are a current practitioner, you may want to buy a Buddha statue as a visual reminder of the Buddha’s teachings. Place a stone Buddha statue in the garden, and you may discover that it establishes a sense of peace. They come in various sizes and designs and can invoke happiness, gratitude, tranquility, fortune, and much more.
What should you look for in a Buddha statue?
- Expression: Believe it or not, some representations of the Buddha display a serene, almost smiling face, while others have a serious tone. The variety may be linked to the Buddhist culture a statue comes from, though most are marketed toward a secular crowd. So some express silliness, others peace, while still others have contemplative expressions to set the tone for meditation. Expressions are achieved through closed eyes, round eyebrows, earlobes, and hand position.
- Material: Most of the Buddha statues we review are constructed of polyresin. It’s a material commonly used for sculpting figurines because it’s flexible when heated. Polyresin also has a nice sheen to it and keeps paint colors’ vibrancy. Tolerant to weather, polyresin Buddha statues work well outside. Porcelain is another often used material because it doesn’t require a finish as ceramic does. If you prefer the look of porcelain, just remember that it’s more fragile than polyresin.
- Size: Like all figurines, Buddha statues vary in size. The tallest product we review is 15 inches tall, and the smallest is 2.7 inches tall. If you’re looking for a Buddha for your home office desk, you may want a small to mid-size Buddha. How you choose should be based in part on what you like as well as the space you plan to place your Buddha.
Do you have to be Buddhist to own a Buddha statue?
You don’t have to convert to Buddhism to enjoy a Buddha statue of your own, but it’s important to respect it. Here are some Buddha etiquette guidelines to follow:
- Don’t place it on the ground or floor.
- Position it facing east.
- Keep it in an uncluttered, well-cleaned space.
- Don’t put it in bathrooms or kitchens.
If you want to know more about Buddhism and the use of Buddha statues in meditation, you might have a stronger connection with the statue you choose, but you can have little knowledge of Buddhism and still appreciate the feeling a Buddha statue evokes in you.
Our Picks for the Best Buddha Statues
Pros: Bring this Buddha statue into your home or yard and enjoy the sense of peace it brings. A simple addition that makes a positive aesthetic and atmosphere impact, this meditating Buddha serves as a reminder to relax. Because it’s made of polyresin and stone powder, the statue is weather-resistant and durable. However, it appears to have been weathered with the antique detailing. This Buddha statue is a perfect size if you want it to stand out from the background of a room or outdoor space but not overwhelm it.
Cons: It’s on the small side.
Bottom Line: While the face and posture of the Buddha have a serious tone, the statue offers a gentle and grounding energy.
Design Toscano Jolly Hotei Buddha Statue
A happy Buddha statue to lighten the spirit and remind you to appreciate the small things in life.
Pros: According to Japanese mythology, Hotei is one of the Shichi-fuku-jin or Seven Gods of Luck. If it makes you smile, then it’s done its job. And if there’s one thing we all have in common, it’s that we need more moments of joy in what can be a tiresome day or many in a row. This Hotei Buddha statue is hand-cast using crushed stone and resin to make a durable bond. His body is painted stone white, while his clothing and the base he stands on are gray. This jolly Buddha will impress wherever you place him.
Cons: Some users were disappointed that the Buddha statue isn’t a natural stone.
Bottom Line: Because it’s constructed of quality materials to ensure durability, this good luck Buddha statue will make you smile for years to come.
Ornerx Thai Sitting Buddha Statue for Home Decor
A Thai Buddha statue with artistic detail and symbolic meaning.
Pros: This Thai Buddha statue impresses with its intricate detail. Every centimeter of this oxidized and dappled resin Buddha displays meaningful images. The half-closed eyes, the hand gesture, the cloud pattern across the back, and the lotus meditation position symbolize different things. It’s relatively small but large enough to make an impression.
Cons: Some reviewers found that it measured smaller than the listing.
Bottom Line: This somewhat austere-looking Buddha may work as a reminder to be in the present moment, use gratitude, or appreciate the beauty in your everyday life.
Kingzhuo Porcelain Baby Buddha Statue
This cute Buddha baby will win over the curmudgeons in your life.
Pros: We have the product for you if you like babies, Buddhas, and porcelain figurines. This little guy measures only 2.7 by 3.5 inches and is aquarium safe! Porcelain is the material you want if you’re looking for a Buddha to chill out your fish. Because these baby Buddha statues are hand-crafted, they’re all unique. Kingzhou makes several baby Buddha statues with different colored robes and expressions so that you can collect them all. These Buddha statues will make just about anyone smile.
Cons: Because these Buddha statues are made of porcelain, they’re at greater risk of breaking than other materials.
Bottom Line: These baby Buddha statues are so darn cute. If you want a little something to brighten your day and remind you that life is good, this is a fun choice.
MyGift Rustic Zen Buddha Meditation Statue
This Zen Buddha bust speaks to Buddhist practitioners, yogis, and those with a taste for art.
Pros: The bust of this refined Zen Buddha treated with a black and green finish for a weathered bronze patina is a beauty to behold. Even the square plinth with its embossed lotus decoration features ornate detail. The statue has a formal presence, yet the Buddha’s round face and closed eyes deliver a sense of calm. Though it looks like a heavy artifact, the lightweight polyresin construction weighs only 1.5 pounds. It’s a nice size to place in a room or outdoor area. It’s large enough to affect serenity and not overpower ambiance.
Cons: Some people didn’t love the black and green finish. Others dislike its lighter weight.
Bottom Line: This Buddha bust is a lovely piece of art. The detail on the plinth and the top of the head is quite impressive.
Buddha statue seekers may be devout Buddhists looking for new meditation inspiration or humor-loving people who want a conversation piece. Just be yourself when you choose one. You’re sure to find a Buddha statue that reminds you to enjoy the moment.