You’ve designed your outdoor living space and picked the furniture that’s just perfect for your seating needs—a lot of work and not an easy thing to do! Now, it’s time to make sure your perfect outdoor space stays perfect for years to come. An investment in chair covers will save you money in the long run because protecting your chairs from the elements will keep them looking their best for longer.
If you live in a dry climate, your biggest problem will be damage from UV exposure: UV light causes colors to fade and fabric to deteriorate. In a rainy or humid climate, the big problem is that water can cause mildew and algae to grow. In both types of climates, dirt, dust, and wind can be problems.
The first step in getting the right patio chair cover is measuring for the size you need. One-size-fits-all options will not give you the best chair protection. Here’s how you measure the height, width, depth, and arm height of your chairs:
- Height: You’ll want to measure from the ground up to the top of the back of the chair.
- Depth: Measure from the farthest point in the front to the farthest point in the back.
- Width: Measure from across the front of the chair.
- Arm Height: Measure from the ground to the top of the chair arm.
Once you’ve measured to figure out the size you need, consider the features you want in your patio chair covers.
Must-Haves for Patio Chair Covers
These features are essential for patio chair protection:
- Material: The material for your covers should be either water-resistant, which means it will let some water through in heavy precipitation, or waterproof, which means it’s completely impermeable. Treated polyester is a common material for covers because it’s durable and water-resistant. A vinyl-laminated cover will be waterproof. Heavyweight covers are more durable and longer-lasting than lightweight covers.
- Fit: The cover should fit securely but still let air circulate to prevent condensation under the cover—a cover that’s slightly bigger than your chair and that has ventilation built-in will be the best choice to prevent this problem.
- Fasteners: To keep your cover from blowing off, make sure that it includes some way to secure it to the chair.
Take a look at our recommendations for high-quality outdoor chair covers and choose the one that’s right for you!
Top Choice: Duck Ultimate Waterproof Patio Chair Cover
Duck Covers Ultimate Series patio chair covers come in a range of sizes for different chair designs. These sophisticated mocha-colored covers are made with a high-strength polyester material on top and a multi-layer, breathable material at the bottom for the perfect balance of waterproof protection and air circulation to prevent mold and mildew. To firmly secure the cover to your chair is a combination of nylon straps with side-release buckles and a shock cord with locks.
Duck Covers Ultimate Waterproof Patio Chair Cover, 30 Inch
This patio chair cover offers the perfect balance of waterproof protection and air circulation to prevent mold and mildew.
Best for Multiple Chairs: Veranda Stackable Patio Chair Covers
Classic Accessories has the perfect cover for your stack of patio chairs! Made from heavyweight Gardelle woven polyester fabric and a special PVC water-repellant backing, the cover fits six stackable chairs up to 33.5 inches in length, 24.5 inches in width, and 45 inches in height. The bottom of the cover has a dark splash-guard skirt and an elastic hem with a toggle that allows for fit adjustment. Click-close straps snap over chair legs to secure the cover on the windiest days, and air vents reduce inside condensation and wind lofting.
Best Value: Vailge Patio Chair Covers
Vailge’s set of two patio chair covers come in large (35 inches wide by 38 inches deep by 31 inches high), medium (30 inches wide by 37 inches deep by 31 inches high), and small (37 inches wide by 30 inches deep by 30 inches high) sizes. These covers are made from Oxford cloth with a laminated backing, treated to resist UV fading. The elastic hem cord with toggles adjusts for a tight custom fit. An adjustable belted hem with click-close straps provides a customizable fit that holds these covers tight in the windiest conditions.
Vailge Patio Chair Covers, Lounge Deep Seat Cover, Heavy Duty and Waterproof Outdoor Lawn Patio Furniture Covers (2 Pack - Large, Beige & Brown)
This set of two patio chair covers are made from Oxford cloth with a laminated backing for top-quality protection at a great price.
Best for Hanging Chairs: Porch Shield Patio Chair Cover
Porch Shield’s cover, made of heavy-duty 600D Oxford cloth with a water-resistant laminated undercoating, perfectly fits a single-seat swinging egg chair with a stand. Double-stitched seams prevent cracking, tearing, and falling apart, and the seams are tape sealed for enhanced durability. There are two sliders with buckles in the back to adjust for a snug fit. A click-close strap inside the cover attaches to the stand to keep it secured, even in severe weather.
Porch Shield Patio Hanging Egg Chair Cover - Waterproof Outdoor Single Seat Wicker Swing Egg Chair with Stand Protector, Light Tan & Khaki
This heavy-duty cover is designed to perfectly fit a single-seat swinging egg chair with a stand.