Why buy a dog water bottle?
While it’s true that you can always bring along a standard plastic or reusable water bottle to keep your pup hydrated, there are several good reasons to invest in an individual one meant specifically with dogs in mind. For one thing, dog water bottles are designed to be portable and easy to use. Most models have some sort of built-in water dispenser or a bowl attachment, allowing you to carry water for your dog without the need for a separate water bowl.
Using a dog water bottle also helps maintain better hygiene compared to sharing your personal water bottle with your dog or using public water bowls. Dog water bottles are designed to keep the water clean and free from contaminants. They often have features like leakproof seals and anti-bacterial materials to ensure the water remains fresh and safe for your dog to drink. And you won’t have to worry about your dog’s slobber and germs all over your own water bottle.
They’re also useful if your dog tends to drink too quickly or if you want to carefully ration water during a long outing. Many dog water bottles have a dispensing mechanism that allows you to better control the amount of water you give to your dog and prevent spilling. This reduces the risk of your dog over-drinking or chugging water too fast, which can lead to discomfort or cause them to throw up the water they just drank.
What should you look for in dog water bottles?
- Anti-Leak Design: A good dog water bottle should have a leakproof design to prevent any water from spilling or leaking out as you’re walking or hiking, especially if you know you’re going to be trekking on uneven terrain. Look for bottles with secure seals or locking mechanisms to ensure that water stays contained and doesn’t create a mess in your bag or car. It’s often worth looking at customer reviews or product descriptions that specifically mention leakproof features to ensure that the water bottle lives up to the anti-leak label.
- Size and Capacity: Be sure to consider the size and capacity of the water bottle based on your furry friend’s needs. If you have a small dog, a smaller-sized bottle may be sufficient, while larger breeds and pups that walk for miles and miles will require a bottle with a larger capacity. It’s important to ensure that the bottle provides an adequate amount of water for your dog; a day-long hike will require more hydration than your daily walk around the block or trip to the park.
- Ease of Use and Cleaning: Look for a dog water bottle that is easy to use and clean. The bottle should have a user-friendly design with some sort of dispenser or bowl attachment that’s easy to operate; the simplest models usually require nothing more than a quick squeeze to fill the bowl attachment. Additionally, check if the bottle can be disassembled easily for a more thorough cleaning, as hygiene is crucial when it comes to water bottles. Dishwasher safe models are ideal.
Are there different types of dog water bottles?
There are several different types of dog water bottles to choose from, mostly varying by their design. The most common models typically include the following:
- Squeeze Bottles: These are simple water bottles with a built-in dispenser at the top. You squeeze the bottle to release water into a bowl for your dog to drink from. These bottles are often compact and easy to carry, though they’ll require you to carry a separate water bowl for your pup.
- Flip-top Bottles: These bottles have a flip-top lid or a button-operated mechanism that releases water when pressed. They usually have a built-in bowl attached to the bottle. You can fill the bottle with water, flip open the lid, and then let your dog drink from the attached bowl.
- Portable Water Dispensers: Portable water dispensers typically consist of a water reservoir and a small bowl. You fill the reservoir with water, and when your dog needs a drink, you pour water into the bowl. These dispensers are convenient for providing water on the go and often have features like leakproof seals and handles for easy carrying.
- Water Bottles with Attached Bowls: Some dog water bottles come with an attached collapsible bowl or trough. These bottles usually have a dispenser at the top that releases water into the attached bowl when pressed, squeezed, or opened. They also have a little built-in mechanism that prevents the water from draining back into the bottle.
- Filtered Water Bottles: These water bottles have an integrated filtration system that filters the water as it is dispensed. The filters help remove impurities and improve the taste of the water. Filtered water bottles are particularly useful when you are unsure about the quality of the water source.
The right type of water bottle will vary depending on your personal preferences and your dog’s needs, so be sure to keep these factors in mind when you’re picking a dog water bottle.
MalsiPree Dog Water Bottle with Dispenser
You can't go wrong with this easy-to-use dog water bottle and its convenient built-in water tray.
Pros: If you need a new dog water bottle to keep your pup well-hydrated on your daily walks, trips to the park, hikes, or road trips, it’s hard to go wrong with this model. Suitable for large and small dogs, thanks to the two size options (12 and 19 ounces), it’s both cute and easy to use. The lock feature is designed to prevent leaks and spills, so you won’t have to worry about water going to waste or the water bottle making a mess when not in use. Especially since the built-in water dispenser allows you to control the flow of the water, even to the point of allowing any undrunk water to trickle back inside the bottle for later just by pressing the water key. There’s a built-in water bowl that the water flows into, so you don’t have to bring along or carry a separate bowl. And since it’s dishwasher safe, this water bottle is easy and convenient to clean. Plus, it’s affordable to boot.
Cons: The bottle’s top is a bit on the flimsy side, as it’s susceptible to breaking if it’s dropped from a high enough height or on a hard surface. Some dogs may not want to drink out of the dispenser right away, so it’s possible it’ll take some time for your pup to get used to it, and some customers have found that the handle strap is a bit awkward to carry or hold.
Bottom Line: This dog water bottle is a convenient and effective solution for keeping dogs hydrated during long road trips, walks, and hikes. It’s easy to use, has a spill-proof lock feature, and allows water to be dispensed back into the bottle to prevent wastage. You’ll love it for its practicality while traveling, hiking, or walking every day.
lesotc Upgraded Dog Water Bottle
With five sizing options to choose from, this dog water bottles comes in a capacity to quench any pup's thirst.
Pros: Whether you’ve got a Great Dane or a teacup Yorkie at home, this water bottle is sure to come in a size that’s right for him or her, thanks to the multiple quantity options available. You can buy this dog water bottle in a 14, 18, 21, 28, and 35-ounce capacity. No matter which size you select, it’s plenty convenient and portable to bring along because of the bottle’s strap and its included carabiner, which you can easily attach to your belt, backpack, or even your dog’s leash. You shouldn’t have any issues with it leaking or its overall durability. You can also slide the water bottle around your wrist with the strap and attach poop bags or other small items to the carabiner. The foldable lid doubles as a water bowl, and its familiar shape means that even timid dogs are more likely to take to it right away instead of requiring an adjustment period. The water bottle is also dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
Cons: Though this water bottle is overall well-made and should hold up well to regular use, the push button is another story. It tends to get stuck, not catch properly, or otherwise not work correctly. If it fully malfunctions, the water bottle becomes unusable.
Bottom Line: Finding the properly sized dog water bottle for your pup can be a challenge at times, especially for bigger dogs or those that drink a lot, since many models don’t have a wide variety of sizing options from which to choose. That shouldn’t be an issue with this particular dog water bottle.
Asobu Dog Bowl Attached to Insulated Bottle
This top-notch, triple-insulated dog water bottle will keep your dog's water cool for longer.
Pros: Insulated water bottles are great for keeping liquids hot or cold for longer periods of time, and this insulated dog water bottle is no exception. It’s a great option for all-day hikes, trips, or camping, keeping your pup’s water cool for hours on end, even in hot weather, thanks to its triple vacuum insulation. Its stainless steel construction ensures that it’s plenty sturdy and durable, able to hold up well to daily and/or heavy-duty use. There’s a handy water bowl built into the bottom of this water bottle, so you won’t have to bring or carry a separate one. All it takes is a quick twist to detach or re-attach the bowl whenever your pup needs a drink. This water bottle also features a carrying loop at the neck, and its 33-ounce capacity provides plenty of water for most dogs. And since your pup won’t be drinking directly out of the bottle, you can even share the water inside with them.
Cons: Unlike many dog water bottles, this model doesn’t have a water dispenser, button that controls the water flow, or a way to easily and quickly put undrunk water back into the bottle. It’s also on the heavy side for a dog water bottle, doesn’t come in any alternate size options, and there’s a chance the lining of the bowl might detach from the outer bowl over time.
Bottom Line: If you want a dog water bottle that you know for sure will keep your canine companion’s water cold and refreshing for your entire outing, this is the model for you. While it may be a bit big and bulky for daily walks, you’ll love its thermal properties and durable make for more rugged outdoor adventures.
Tuff Pupper Large PupFlask Dog Water Bottle
This 40-ounce dog water bottle holds enough water for camping trips and all-day hikes.
Pros: Depending on your dog’s needs and where you live, you may often find they go through an entire water bottle in a single walk or hike and still aren’t fully satisfied afterward. If this is a common issue, consider upgrading to this extra-large dog water bottle. It has a whopping 40-ounce capacity (5 cups) to supply enough water for just about any pup. This bottle has excellent efficiency beyond just its high volume too; it has a quick-release button that allows you to control the amount of water your pup gets when they need a drink and then drain unused water right back into the bottle to save it for later. The colorful silicone leaf-like top flips down into a large, deep built-in bowl that the water flows directly into when you use the quick-release button, so you don’t have to bring a separate bowl along on your walks. This makeshift bowl is even large enough for multiple dogs to drink from at once, depending on their breed/head size. Spilling shouldn’t be an issue, and the bottle is made of stainless steel and silicone, so it’s nice and durable and dishwasher safe to boot.
Cons: Though you shouldn’t have to worry about water spilling out of this water bottle when you dispense it, there is a chance it may leak a bit when not in use. The screw-on top is also a bit on the shallow side, which may cause it to unscrew on its own, leading to further leakage. Thus you may want to carry this bottle in your hands or arms rather than sticking it in a bag or backpack. Some users have found that the attached silicone strap is a bit too small for their liking.
Bottom Line: If you’ve got a bigger dog at home, take your pup on a lot of long outings, live in a very hot environment, or your furry friend tends to consume large amounts of water on walks or hikes, this dog water bottle will be right up your alley. Its 40-ounce capacity should be able to carry enough water to quench even the thirstiest of dogs.
PETKIT BPA-Free Dog Water Bottle with Filter
If you want to ensure your canine companion has the cleanest drinking water possible, this dog water bottle and its built-in filter will be right up your alley.
Pros: Want to ensure that your pup’s drinking water is as clean and pure as possible? Grab this dog water bottle with a built-in filter. The filter will trap particles and other debris in your dog’s water before he or she can drink them. That’s not the only factor in this water bottle’s favor, either. Available in two sizes and made from stronger, high-quality plastic, it’s nice and lightweight and has a handy strap so it’s convenient to carry around, even on all-day hikes. It’s also leakproof, so you can slip it into your backpack or bag without fear. And any dog water bottle worth its salt, it has a built-in bowl and a single button that controls the flow of water both in and out of the bottle, so you can put undrunk water back inside for later.
Cons: Since it’s mostly made of plastic, even though it’s pretty heavy-duty plastic, this isn’t the most durable of dog water bottles, and it may stop working properly after only a few months. The filter is tricky to remove and clean, and it’s unclear if the filter should ever be replaced. Both available sizes are on the smaller side too.
Bottom Line: Even if you have access to clean, fresh water at home, there’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to find some on your hike or camping trip. If you want to ensure that your beloved furry friend always has access to clean drinking water, this filtered dog water bottle is well worth the money.
Dog water bottles offer a convenient and hygienic way to ensure your furry friend stays hydrated on the go, no matter where you’re venturing or how long you’ll be outside. With a reliable dog water bottle, you can easily provide fresh water to your pup during outdoor adventures, walks, and travel, promoting their overall health and well-being.