Why buy a faux leather sectional?
Sectionals allow for more seating, which is vital if you have a larger number of people that live in your home or if you entertain frequently. But with faux leather especially, it can often allow you to buy furniture at a more affordable price or offer more durability depending on your housemates. For example, you wouldn’t want to buy a premium leather couch if small children are going to climb on it and spill food and drinks on it every day.
What should you look for when buying a faux leather sectional?
- Durability: Faux leather can be durable, but it can also be something you need to replace in less than a year if you don’t do your homework. Consider factors such as how quickly the leather will crack, if it will change color, or if it has a texture that will become smooth over time. Additionally, you’ll want to look for sectionals that are upholstered in more heavy-duty materials, especially if you’re going to sit on it every day or you have children or pets with sharp claws.
- Seating Capacity: The beauty of sectionals is that they’re inherently designed to seat more people. While a traditional love seat or couch can usually only accommodate two to three people, it’s possible to find sectionals that can seat five or more people.
- Design: Not all sectionals are the same. Some are designed to simply be extended versions of regular couches, seating more people in a linear fashion. But you can also find sectionals that incorporate chaise loungers or allow you to assemble the chaise interchangeably on the right or left side of the main seating.
- Dimensions: Measure twice is a mantra that’s critical when you’re buying furniture. Always consider where you plan on placing your furniture before you start shopping. Measure the area and narrow your search to sectionals that fit within those dimensions.
- Additional Features: Couches have been able to do more than serve as a seat for quite some time now. It’s very common to find sectionals that incorporate recliners, pockets to store small items like remotes, and cupholders. Nowadays, there are even sectionals that offer built-in Wi-Fi extenders or charging pads for smartphones. Of course, many of those features will come at a premium, but it’s nice to know that they’re available.
Which sectional will be best for you?
The answer to this question is going to depend on your design preferences, budget, and needs. Obviously, you’ll want a couch that will accommodate the total number of people that live in your house. But for someone that entertains regularly, you’ll want a sectional that can seat at least one or two additional people. Likewise, durability will matter if you live in a home with pets or small children. And finally, comfort is important. You want a sectional that doesn’t just look pretty but is also comfortable to use.
Ashton Saddle Brown Microfiber Reversible Sleeper Sectional Sofa Chaise
A smart solution for overnight house guests with built-in storage.
Pros: Whether you frequently host overnight guests or just love the idea of a serious Netflix and chill evening, this sleeper sectional sofa with a reversible chaise that has hidden storage is a great investment. You’ll like the L-shape design and the fact that you can convert it to a bed that’s the full width of the couch.
Cons: This is a smaller sectional. So, while the sleeper function is a nice upgrade, it’s still only designed to comfortably seat three people. Additionally, its brown colorway may not be a good fit for all homes.
Bottom Line: Hidden storage and a full sleeper sofa make this a nice sectional couch for many people, thanks to a modern design and reversible chaise upgrade. But the fact that it only seats three may knock this off of many people’s sectional shortlists.
Honbay Convertible Sectional Sofa with Ottoman
A seating arrangement where everyone has a chance to recline.
Pros: If you’ve ever had a sectional with a chaise feature, you know that unless you’re sitting in the chaise portion, everyone else has to sit upright. That can get annoying if you want to kick your feet up and relax. This sectional from Honbay has the reversible chaise upgrade, but it also comes with an oversized ottoman for the other two seats, ensuring that everyone on the couch can kick their feet up and relax. Plus, the ottoman comes with hidden storage, boosting its functionality.
Cons: While functional and affordable, a common complaint was that the material looked too cheap and couldn’t pass as real leather to the naked eye. Additionally, it’s not ideal for large spaces since it only seats three and isn’t exactly spacious.
Bottom Line: If everyone wants to kick their feet up on the couch, this sectional with an oversized ottoman that offers additional storage can be a great solution. It’s best for smaller spaces.
Armen Living Amanda Sectional
A modern couch for an Instagram-worthy living space.
Pros: For those who love minimalist design, you can’t go wrong with this modern white and chrome sectional from Armen Living. Along with being easy to assemble, this pick can comfortably accommodate four to five people, with each seat supporting up to 250 pounds. Note that it’s also available in black and gray.
Cons: Although this couch can offer more seating, the austere look might not appeal to everyone. Additionally, the white vinyl variant might be an unrealistic option for many homes, even if you don’t own pets or have small children.
Bottom Line: More seating and a sleek design combine in this modern sectional option from Armen Living. However, the white minimalist design may be too plain or impractical for some.
Yaheetech Faux Leather Sectional Couch
A sectional with built-in storage and functional features that make it a practical choice for many homes.
Pros: This pick from Yaheetech features a drop-down backrest cushion that offers cupholders and a reclining chaise design that converts into a futon—allowing your sectional to become a sleeper. In its regular configuration, this sectional will seat three people.
Cons: While the functionality is alluring, a common complaint we found from real shoppers was that this was far from the most comfortable couch. Complaints ranged from the cushions being too firm to the main couch portion being too cramped.
Bottom Line: For those who love the idea of a convertible couch that could potentially accommodate overnight house guests and offer additional storage, this can be a solid choice. But it does seem like uncomfortable seat cushions might not make this a practical purchase in high-traffic rooms.
Star Home Living Corp 3-Piece Faux Leather Sectional
A sectional designed for get-togethers with hidden storage and an ottoman.
Pros: If you need more room but still want an ottoman, this three-piece sectional set from Star is ideal. Along with a chaise extension, you’ll also get an ottoman that comes with hidden storage to keep those binge-watching blankets and extra pillows hidden during the day.
Cons: Although an obvious negative is that this is one of the priciest sectionals in our roundup, the other potential issue is that the chaise is not reversible. It can only be configured as a left-facing sectional. So depending on where you would want to place a sectional in your home, this might not be the right fit for you.
Even though sectionals might not be essential in every home, they can be a great way to provide more seating without adding extra chairs to your living space. And when you pick the right one, you can find sectionals that offer sleeping solutions for overnight guests or discreet storage to keep your living room tidy.