Why buy a spray mop?
A spray mop is simply a device that combines a cleaning fluid sprayer with a mop. The all-in-one solution allows you to quickly clean light to medium dirt and grime on hard floors without needing a bucket full of soapy cleaning solution and a traditional mop that needs to be wrung out periodically. For light messes, it makes for a quicker, easier cleaning process, and depending on the style of mop, you can either throw out the soiled pads or put them in the laundry and reuse them.
What should you consider when shopping for a spray mop?
- Reusable vs. Single-Use Pads: Hands down, one of the biggest factors you’ll need to think about is whether you want a mop that uses reusable or single-use pads. Single-use pads can be convenient since you can use a clean pad every time you mop the floor. But the drawback is that you’ll have to keep buying replacements. In contrast, reusable pads can easily be tossed into the laundry. But, you’ll need to remember to clean them so that you always have fresh pads available.
- Cleaning Fluid: Another factor to consider is whether your spray mop requires a specific bottle and/or cleaning fluid or if you can use any type of cleaning solution with it. Similar to the pad caveat, while brand-specific cleaning fluid bottles can be convenient, it represents a fixed cost. Conversely, being able to use your normal floor cleaning solution in a diluted mix can be significantly cheaper. Likewise, don’t forget that not all cleaning fluids are compatible with all floor styles. So, depending on the flooring in your home (hardwood, vinyl, laminate, tile, etc.), you may need to filter your search.
- Spray Trigger: When spray mops first appeared on the scene, they mostly relied on battery operation. These days, plenty of competitor spray mops don’t require any type of power to operate the spray function.
- Multifunctional Pads: This is not the same as deciding between reusable or single-use pads. Depending on the mess you’re trying to clean, you might need a pad with more friction to lift set-in dirt and grime.
- Pole Extension: Not all spray mops will support this feature. But if you’re taller, or want the ability to clean under furniture, then a mop that offers pole extension is a nice-to-have option.
Can you deep clean with a spray mop?
While it is possible to deep clean with a spray mop, most experts will agree that a traditional mop is still the best option. This is because traditional mops typically offer more pressure and saturation to work at stains or dirt, and you can customize the cleaning solution (as compared to solution-specific spray mops) if you’re tackling specific stains or flooring.
O-Cedar ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Mop
Save money with a laundry-safe reusable mop pad.
Pros: When you do the math on spray mops that rely on proprietary cleaning solutions and disposable pads, the figures add up quickly when it’s time for replacements. So, save money with the O-Cedar ProMist MAX spray mop. It features a reusable microfiber cloth pad that will eliminate 99% of bacteria with just water. You can make your own cleaning solution to save even more money.
Cons: While it’s not a massive expense to upgrade, the base version of this spray mop only comes with one reusable pad. By comparison, many other brands that offer the same cleaning style will usually come with two pads.
Bottom Line: Save money in the long run with this O-Cedar spray mop that allows you to customize your cleaning solution and comes with a reusable microfiber mop pad.
Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Microfiber Floor Mop Cleaning Kit
An all-in-one cleaning solution with plenty of reusable mop pads and a built-in scrubber for tough messes.
Pros: If you liked the idea of the O-Cedar spray mop but felt that the kit was lacking in substance, you’ll appreciate this upgraded option from Rubbermaid. Along with the basic spray mop apparatus, you’ll also get three reusable microfiber pads, two refillable bottles, and a built-in scrubbing pad to tackle stubborn dirt and grime. Better still, the pads are safe for all floor surfaces.
Cons: Sometimes, the spray nozzle can malfunction. Per the reviews, you should clean the nozzle after every cleaning session; otherwise, it gets clogged.
Bottom Line: If you want to be sure that you have plenty of supplies on hand when it’s time to clean the floors, this complete spray mop kit from Rubbermaid has you covered with three mop pads and two refillable bottles.
Swiffer WetJet Hardwood Floor Cleaner & Mopping Start Kit
A quick solution for those who hate the added work of traditional spray mops.
Pros: For many people, the added responsibility of mixing cleaning solutions or remembering to launder dirty spray mop pads is more than they want to manage. If this sounds familiar, then the trusty Swiffer brand is going to be up your alley. While this particular option is just for hardwood floors, keep in mind that Swiffer also offers versions of their WetJet cleaning fluid that are for multipurpose flooring.
Cons: The biggest drawback with Swiffer is that the mop requires batteries for the spray trigger to function. You also need to buy replacement solution and pads, which aren’t necessarily cheap. So, over time, you will spend significantly more money.
Bottom Line: If you don’t want to launder mop pads or make cleaning solution from scratch, the Swiffer WetJet is a tried and true, super convenient option that will keep your floors clean. Just remember that the convenience comes at a price since you’ll need to replace the batteries, mop pads, and cleaning solution periodically.
Bona Hardwood Floor Premium Spray Mop
A tried and true cleaning brand with an effective hardwood floor spray mop.
Pros: Bona is a brand that’s synonymous with floor cleaning, and their entry into the spray mop category is a hybrid between Swiffer and more economical competitors that feature refillable bottles and reusable mop pads. While Bona does come with machine washable pads and a wider mop head, the mop is intended to be used with their proprietary cleaning solution. But the caveat is that you only need one bottle since it’s refillable.
Cons: Depending on how you feel about the efficacy of Bona’s cleaning solution, being locked into having to use their cleaning supplies may fall in the pros or cons category for you. While you can purchase larger refill bottles, this still represents a fixed cost.
Bottom Line: Those seeking a hybrid solution between Swiffers and DIY spray mops may find their sweet spot with this Bona hardwood floor spray mop. While you get reusable pads, you’re still on the hook for purchasing more Bona hardwood floor cleaning solution.
Bona Hard-Surface Floor Premium Spray Mop
The cleaning power of Bona with a solution specifically designed for all non-wood hard flooring.
Pros: If you don’t have hardwood floors but still want that Bona cleaning power, there’s an alternate version of their spray mop that’s going to be perfect for you. This is a multi-surface spray mop that can be used on stone, tile, laminate, and vinyl. Similar to the hardwood spray mop, you’ll get washable pads and a refillable bottle.
Cons: Again, this hybrid spray mop is intended to be used with Bona’s proprietary cleaning solution.
Bottom Line: Depending on your preferences, you may find that Bona cleans better than other brands, so this hard surface spray mop is a worthy investment if you’re okay with being tied to Bona’s cleaning solution.
Even though cleaning your floors might not be the most exciting way to spend your time, it doesn’t have to be a hassle. Spray mops can reduce your time spent prepping and cleaning since they’re all-in-one solutions. Just be mindful of whether you want a spray mop that’s more sustainable and budget-friendly versus one that uses fresh pads and disposable bottles.