Why buy a vertical planter?
A vertical planter can make a great addition to any indoor or outdoor living area for a variety of reasons. First, it allows you to maximize the use of your available space by growing plants vertically instead of horizontally. This can be particularly helpful if you have a small yard or live in a studio apartment. You can mix and match different types of plants and herbs to create a visually stunning and functional display. For example, you could grow herbs like basil and cilantro alongside flowering plants like petunias and marigolds. And with the wide variety of different styles and designs of vertical planters, from over-the-door fabric models to wall-mounted options and beyond, there’s a good option for pretty much any home.
What should you look for in a vertical planter?
- Size and Capacity: Make sure it has enough pockets or tiers for the number of plants you plan to grow and that the individual slots are large enough to support the root systems of your chosen plants. A succulent will need a much shallower planter than an orchid, for instance.
- Material and Durability: Vertical planters can be made of various materials, including plastic, fabric, metal, and wood. Consider the durability of the material and whether it is suitable for your indoor or outdoor space. For example, if you plan to keep the planter on your balcony, you’ll want to choose a material that can withstand extended exposure to moisture and UV rays.
- Watering and Drainage: Make sure the planter has a good watering and drainage system to keep your plants healthy. Look for a planter with a built-in irrigation system that is self-watering and allows for easy watering and drainage. Poor drainage can lead to waterlogged soil and root rot, while too little water can lead to dehydration and wilting plants.
What are the different types of vertical planters?
These are the five most common examples:
- Pocket planters are typically made of fabric or felt and have small pockets or pouches for individual plants. They can be hung on a wall or fence or raining, mounted on a freestanding frame, or even hung over a door in some cases. They’re especially great for trailing plants like ivy or ferns.
- Tower planters are tall, narrow, floorstanding planters that can accommodate several plants on each level. They’re typically made of plastic, metal, or wood and can be used indoors or outdoors. This type of vertical planter is often ladder-like in design, and the planter boxes that hold your plants may all be the same size or can taper into smaller sizes towards the top.
- Wall-mounted planters are, naturally, designed to be mounted on a wall and can be made of a variety of materials, including metal, wood, or plastic. They can be used to create a living wall or vertical garden. Most of these will require some assembly and drilling holes in your wall, so they’re not a great choice for renters or dorm rooms.
- Stacked planters are either made up of multiple planters stacked on top of each other, connected by a central pole, or a series of pots melded together. They typically have somewhere between two and five tiers and are most commonly used for growing herbs or small vegetables.
- Trellis planters are typically made of wood or metal and consist of a large planter with some sort of trellis or lattice structure attached. This makes them ideal for climbing plants like tomatoes, beans, or even smaller rose plants.
Mr. Stacky Five-Tier Strawberry Planter Pot
Take care of twenty plants in the same pot with this stackable, multitiered planter.
Pros: This planter allows you to easily create a vertical garden due to its design—five tiers of planters stacked on top of each other held together by a 3/4-inch pipe. The resulting flow-through design allows for greater water flow, which in turn helps to prevent overwatering and root rot. Despite its multiple tiers, this planter is lightweight and flexible so it’s a minimal hassle to move to a new spot, and it’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. With a soil volume of 24 quarts and the ability to grow up to 20 individual plants in one planter, you can maximize your growing space and enjoy a variety of plants, such as strawberries, herbs, flowers, or succulents. An included matching saucer at the bottom to catch any loose soil or leakage rounds out the planter.
Cons: Some buyers found the slots of the planter too small for their needs, while others found it difficult to water properly, as it’s hard to tell if each plant is getting enough water. This plant is also at high risk for breaking or cracking if it falls or gets tipped over. It’s also not the best option for varieties of plants with deep roots or that require consistent moisture.
Bottom Line: If you are looking for an efficient and space-saving way to grow plants, this planter takes up very little space. Its tall, narrow size, high capacity, and suitability for indoor/outdoor usage make it an excellent choice for small apartments, balconies, and homes with no outdoor space.
MEIWO Hanging Planters
Transform any space into a vibrant, green living wall with this hanging vertical planter.
Pros: This hanging vertical planter is an excellent choice for anyone looking to grow herbs, flowers, and vegetables in a space-saving and decorative way. Made of rugged and self-absorbing felt cloth, this door- or wall-hanging planter and its seven pockets are corrosion-resistant, breathable, and deep enough to accommodate plant growth. It’s easy to install and move around via zip ties or over-the-door hooks (sold separately). Though it was designed with indoor spaces in mind, this planter is perfectly suitable for outdoor use as well, so you can just as easily hang it on your balcony railing or a fence.
Cons: Even with the pockets’ depth, you won’t want to use this planter for any plants that require more soil as it tends to dry out easily and not hold much dirt. The pockets also aren’t large enough to hold bigger plants like crotons or peace lilies. You may also experience leaking when watering, so consider taking precautions to protect your walls and floors from exposure to moisture.
Bottom Line: If you’re looking for an attractive and functional vertical planter for your balcony or garden, this hanging cloth planter is definitely worth considering. Use it to create a colorful and vibrant “living wall painting” that will impress and delight, either with seasonal plants outside or year-round inside your home.
Outland Living Six-Foot Raised Garden Bed
Create a beautiful and space-saving garden with this ladder-style vertical garden bed.
Pros: If you’re looking for an easy-to-assemble and space-saving solution for growing plants, this ladder-style vertical garden bed is a great choice. Each hanging box container measuring in at 27 inches long, providing ample room for your plants without taking up much horizontal space. The plant bins are made from food-grade polypropylene material, ensuring safety and health for you and your plants. It also makes them capable of withstanding the combined weight of soil, water, and plants. Its modern and ergonomic design adds a modern aesthetic appeal to your living space while allowing you to enjoy gardening without kneeling or crouching.
Cons: You’ll have to drill your own drainage holes into the boxes of this planter, as there aren’t any built-in. If you aren’t careful, it is easy to knock over the bar to support them when putting them back up. This planter is also much more expensive than most other vertical models.
Bottom Line: This is a good purchase for those looking for a functional and aesthetically pleasing planter to grow a variety of plants in a small space. As long as you don’t mind the higher price tag, it’s an extremely visually pleasing option that will bring elegance to any indoor or outdoor living space.
The Lakeside Collection Self-Watering Vegetable Planter Box
Grow your own garden anywhere with ease and convenience using this self-watering planter box and its optional trellis.
Pros: This vertical planter box is a great addition to any garden, either to your personal home garden or community garden plots. Its most notable features are its trellis and self-watering features. It has a large three-gallon water storage zone with a self-watering pot, so you don’t have to worry about watering your plants every single day. The sectional trellis panels can be added as plants grow and will support plant growth up to three feet high. The planter itself has a capacity for up to 10 gallons of potting soil. It’s also a great option for starting plantings before transferring them or as a test bed planter for new herbs.
Cons: As handy as the trellis is for climbing plants, it may not be the sturdiest model out there. Additionally, assembling and attaching the trellis can prove tricky for those who are not handy with tools, so you may want to opt for a pre-assembled model if you’re not confident in your DIY skills.
Bottom Line: With its movable design, large water storage capacity, and sectional trellis panels, this planter is perfect for any gardener of any experience level. The trellis is especially handy if you want to grow climbing plants, like pothos, or long-stemmed plants, that a different vertical planter is unable to support.
ShopLaLa Wooden Wall Planter
Elevate your plant game with these premium quality wooden plant holders that are both space-efficient and versatile.
Pros: This two-pack of wooden, wall-mounted plant holders is a great investment for anyone looking to add some greenery to their home without taking up any extra floor space. Made from high-quality imported wood, these plant holders are durable and stylish. They’re also space-efficient and easy to clean, and each panel can hold up to nine flower pots, making them perfect for small herbs and seedlings. You can also use them as indoor plant trellises for pre-existing plants or as decorative wall features with LED lights, photos, and other decorations if you ever want to switch things up.
Cons: Some assembly is required for putting these panels together, and you may find that the pieces don’t line up straight or even cracked during construction. Also, keep in mind that no actual pots come included with your purchase, so you’ll have to provide your own.
Bottom Line: Perfect for creating a modern and trendy vertical herb garden or green living plant wall, each panel can hold multiple flower pots and can be used as an indoor plant trellis or wooden decor. And since they allow you to display plants on your wall, this is an especially space-saving model.
A vertical planter is a great investment for those who love gardening but have limited space or want to add a unique feature to their living space. They’re particularly useful if you’re in an apartment with only a small balcony, a house with a small yard, or any other living arrangement that doesn’t provide access to traditional garden beds.