Crocheting is a pleasant way to pass the time, keep your hands busy, and make beautiful creations, so picking out the best yarn is an essential first step. Here are some of the best yarn choices for crocheting.
What to Consider in Crochet Yarn
Here’s what to know before you buy:
- Yarn type: There are various yarns for crocheting available, including both plant and animal fibers. Consider which works best, though any are suitable for beginners.
- Color: Consider which color works best for your crochet project. Darker colors can make seeing the stitches more challenging.
- Texture: There are both smooth and textured yarns, but smooth yarns are easier for crocheting.
- Length: Consider how large your project is because every ball of yarn is different in length. If you’re crafting a large blanket, be sure to buy multiple skeins of yarn to be prepared.
- Maintenance: Determine how the finished crochet project should be washed, which may impact the type of yarn you choose to use.
Easy for Beginners: Bernat Blanket Yarn, Teal Dreams
This soft and luxurious yarn comes in an economical big ball size, over 220 yards long. It is made with 100% polyester and is machine washable and dryable. It is perfect for making blankets and baskets, with its super bulky stitches. This yarn works best with 8-millimeter knitting needles and crochet hooks.
Bernat Blanket Yarn, Teal Dreams
Soft yarn great for big projects.
Best Multicolored Set: CRAFTISS 30x20g Acrylic Yarn Skeins
This acrylic yarn skein set comes with 30 balls in various colors, perfect for all types of crafts. The mini yarn skeins are best for beginner projects as well as knitting. Each skein of yarn is 40 meters long, and the set comes with a plastic zippered bag for easy storage.
CRAFTISS 30x20g Acrylic Yarn Skeins - 1300 Yards of Soft Yarn for Crocheting and Knitting Craft Project, Assorted Starter Crochet Kit Yarn Bulk for Adults and Kids
A 30 skein yarn ball set in a variety of colors.
Best Cashmere Yarn: TEHETE 100% Cashmere Yarn
This pure cashmere yarn is soft and high quality, spun by an advanced spinner. The extra-fine fibers have low bulk and high loft, which will create the softest and warmest garments. The cashmere is made from Mongolian goat wool, considered the highest quality, having the longest and most resilient fibers. When projects are completed, they should be washed by hand and laid flat to dry.
TEHETE 100% Cashmere Yarn for Crocheting 3-Ply Warm Soft Luxurious Fuzzy Knitting Yarn (Beige)
Mongolian goat wool cashmere yarn that has low bulk.
Best Value: Lion Brand Yarn Comfy Cotton Blend Yarn, Cloud Nine
This lightweight yarn is perfect for shawls, tops, shrugs, and gifts of all kinds. The 200-gram skein is enough to make an entire scarf or a small baby blanket. It is made from a blend of 50% cotton and 50% polyester, with subtle flecks of color against a natural base. This pretty yarn can be machine washed and dried.
Lion Brand Yarn Comfy Cotton Blend Yarn, Cloud Nine
Multicolored lightweight yarn for stylish projects.
Also Great: Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo Yarn, Turquie
This jumbo bunch of yarn is 100% acrylic and versatile for all types of knitting and crocheting projects. The yarn is a nice bright color, allowing it to stand out in any project. It is soft and can withstand machine washing.
Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo Yarn, Turqua
A jumbo skein of yarn for all craft projects.